Monday, February 04, 2013

Even If

I am loving this song right now.  Every time I hear it, the Lord uses it to remind me about His character, and the things He's asking me to cling to in these weeks.

"Hold on to what we know is true of You are."
     The song refers to several attributes of God, including His immutability, His goodness, and how He is loving, faithful, mighty and trustworthy.  I have found so much peace over the last several years focusing on the attributes of my faithful Lord.  But, lately, God's been calling me to dig a little deeper.  Specifically, if I believe these things to be true of God, then I can trust that the promises He has outlined in His word are also true.  I can cling to such things as:
     Romans 10:9 - If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
     Galatians 6:9 - Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
     Philippians 4:19 - And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
     James 1:12 - Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

"We know Your heart."
     That's such an amazing truth tucked in, almost as an afterthought in this song.  Did you catch it?  "We know Your heart."  It's stated so matter-of-factly, yet God has been teaching me about what an amazing truth that is.  The creator God, the one who formed the universe, so desires a relationship with me, that He has revealed His heart to me, through his Word, Christ Jesus.  That takes my breath away when I dwell on it.

"You're working all things for our good."
     This is almost a direct quote of Romans 8:28, and another promise to cling to.  But, what it reminds me of is my current mantra:  Everything that happens is for my ultimate good, and His ultimate glory.  I don't know who originally coined this, but I have claimed it as my own.  When the days get hard and I'm not sure I can continue, this phrase helps me take my mind off the temporal and put it on the eternal, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.  The work is done, and my obedience is my reasonable service of worship to the One who has accomplished the work.

"Even if the healing doesn't come"
     This phrase is my only "beef" with the song.  I know they had the best of intentions when they wrote these lyrics.  There is much to be said about pressing on in life's trials, even when there is no end in site.  Even when there's no hope for the future, God is still good.  Such a great message for this lost and dying world.

BUT -- that's just it.  For those who have claimed the promise found in Romans 10:9, there IS healing.  It's not an earthly healing and so it's harder to grasp.  But, if we put our trust in the God who is faithful, loving, trustworthy, the God who has revealed Himself to us, and has made great promises to us,
healing WILL eventually come.

Revelation 22: 1-5
Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.

And THAT my friends -- is a fabulous thing to cling to!



Here are the Lyrics, in case you don't want to watch the video:
Sometimes all we have to hold on to Is what we know is true of who You are So when the heartache hits like a hurricane That could never change who You are And we trust in who You are  
Even if the healing doesn't come And life falls apart And dreams are still undone You are God You are good Forever faithful One Even if the healing Even if the healing doesn't come  
Lord we know your ways are not our ways So we set our faith in who You are Even though You reign high above us You tenderly love us We know Your heart We rest in who You are 
Even if the healing doesn't come And life falls apart And dreams are still undone You are God You are good Forever faithful One Even if the healing Even if the healing doesn't come 
You're still the Great and Mighty One We trust You always You're working all things for our good We'll sing your praise 
Even if the healing doesn't come And life falls apart And dreams are still undone You are God You are good Forever faithful One Even if the healing Even if the healing doesn't come
You are God and we will bless You As the Good and Faithful One You are God and we will bless You Even if the healing doesn't come Even if the healing doesn't come

No comments: