Sunday, February 24, 2013

Desperate - Chapter 4

Chapter 4, entitled, "Oh Right, There's Sin" takes a closer look at parenting the heart issues that I mentioned in my post about Chapter 3.

The main focus of the chapter seems to be Romans 7:19-20:  For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.  But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.

Some quotes from this chapter that stuck out to me:

  • Honey, at what age did you stop sinning?  Because, that's when our children will stop.
  • We need to offer them loads of grace and affirmation, so that they can be confident that we get it and we are on their teams.
  • The home is a battlefield where sin and selfishness must be overcome, and that the taming, subduing, and civilizing of a home will be to a woman's honor.
  • He desires to give us the strength to bring life into our homes and redeem them.
  • But it is a choice you must make to not dwell in guilt, and to instead embrace God's helping hand.  You must choose with God's help to be a victor instead of a casualty.
Such good stuff!

No comments: