Thursday, March 04, 2010

How to upset a pregnant lady

During Week 18 of my pregnancy, I had my first appointment at the birthing center where I will have our little Hoove! It was really exciting, but it also turned out to be a little frustrating, too.

My grandma and I showed up at the birthing center around 9:30am for a 10am appointment to fill out paperwork. Mom and Micah showed up around 10am from their respective jobs. Then, we waited. And waited. And waited some more. At around 11am, they took us into the birthing room to show us around there and to go through my new mom packet.

After that, the nurse gave us a tour of the rest of the facility, then left us in the "stress test" room to wait for an exam room to open. I think we waited there for another 30 minutes or so.

Then the nurse moved us into the exam room to wait for a midwife. We waited ANOTHER 30 minutes or so. It was about 12:15 or so when we finally saw the midwife. I felt a little bit bad because when she asked how we were doing, I said, "Fine. Is it NORMAL to wait two hours to see someone?" She said it wasn't and that they were just having a bad day. She added that normally, they would have sent me home and asked me to come back a little later, but since I had my entourage with me, they didn't.

We listened to the heart beat, she asked everyone if they had any questions, and then we finally left around 12:30pm. So, 3 hours!

I hate to admit this - but I was one cranky pregnant lady. Around 10:45ish, I was starting to get a pretty bad headache. I hadn't had much water yet that day, and I didn't eat a very big breakfast because I thought I'd just come home and eat afterward. I had some Tylenol and water in the car, but I kept thinking we'd be leaving any minute!

So, I never did go get it. Instead, my headache kept getting worse and worse.

So, when we finally left at 12:30pm, I got out to my car and took some Tylenol. On an empty stomach.

Not a good idea.

Micah had taken three hours off so he could have lunch with us after the appointment. Since it had taken so long, he had to rush just to get back to work, but mom, grandma and I still went out to lunch. I took one bite of my food - and had my first pregnancy sickness experience! It was not pretty!

On the plus side, all my appointments since then have gone really smoothly. And I learned that Tylenol on an empty stomach is not something my pregnant body wants me to do.


tsbjf said...

Oh WOW. I cannot believe that you had to wait that long, that is ridiculous. That puts all of my waits to shame. Glad that appointments since then have not been so bad! When I first started reading the post, I was thinking that you were going to have to come in after your first contraction to be in line to have Hoover! But it is good that they have since proven themselves. Pregnant woman with an empty stomach = never good.

Joy said...

aw, so sorry you got sick, no fun!