Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Desperate Chapter 9

Chapter 9 of Desperate focuses mostly on logistics and how you can and need to find a system that is reasonable and works for your family.

But, what I took from it, is that it is less about my systems, and more about my attitude.  Some of Sally's quotes that really spoke to me:

"The attitude I adopt every day has the potential to affect the whole demeanor of my home...Consequently, a vital part of maturing is deciding to be content through obedience, and to cultivate a spirit of joy by choice...Learn to be faithful and choose to be content."

Man!  Quite the call to holiness, I think.

As far as systems go, though, it was nice to hear her say, "When it got to the point where our everyday habits were insufficient to keep up with the messes (and this happens in every home, no matter how organized), we would stop everything else and get our house back to normal."

I had a sinking suspension that this might be true, that routines don't always work, but I had kind of been buying into the lie that if I were better, or my system was more seamless, then there would never need to be moments of catch up.  It's pretty freeing to see it in writing -- that everyone struggles from time to time, in every day life.

I know I tend to say that comparison is the enemy of contentment, but I think in this case, I like to be reminded that I'm (at least somewhat, in this area) normal!

No comments: