Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Desperate Chapter 7

Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.   - John 15:13


Well, since I kinda fell off the face of the earth there for a bit, I am kind of out of practice journaling my read through of Desperate. But a girlfriend encouraged me recently to keep at it - so here goes!

Chapter 7 is entitled Sacrifice in the Mundane and centers around selfishness. My did it hid a chord!

I've always heard people joke about not knowing they were selfish until they had kids, and I've always thought that was funny....until I had kids. Oh the ugliness of my own sin, all of which seems to center around selfishness. And, oh the loving kindness of The Lord to use my two sweet little boys to chip away at me.

The letter Sally wrote to Sarah Mae in response to her declaration of her own selfishness was a light bulb moment for me.  She said (among other things), "Nothing excellent is ever accomplished by being lazy or selfish. Once I got over my pity party and decided that I was willing to do whatever it takes to build excellence into my life and home, my motivation increased and my vision for what I could accomplish stretched, and as I look back, I am now amazed at my capacity to work so hard and to get so much done."

It wasn't until I read that that I realized how far I've come. There have been many times in my life where I've felt like the tasks at hand were insurmountable. And yet, here I am, standing on the other side of many of them. Praise be to God! He certainly has equipped me for every good work.

No comments: