So, a month and half ago, I informed you that I was going to try my hand at cooking 50 new things before the end of the year.
I was hoping to get a good chunk of those under my belt before this babe came, but seeing as how I'm just shy of 38 weeks, and I've made little progress, I'm not seeing how that's going to happen!
But, I did want to share with you the progress I have made so far:
1) I made guacamole on 12/11
Which was my first ever attempt at peeling these bad boys:
2) cinnamon rolls on 1/3 for an Elder/Deacon lunch at my church
3) blue cheese dip on 1/14
4) cake balls on 1/18 which was the first time I used the candy apple red Kitchenaid that my parents gave me for Christmas. These were so good, I made them again a few weeks later!
5) brisket on 1/21 because I got it on manager's special and I have been feeling the need to expand my horizons where meat is concerned.
6) mashed potatoes on 2/17. Yes, you read correctly. Yesterday was my FIRST EVER time for making mashed potatoes. Can you believe that? We just don't eat potatoes much around here - and actually, we didn't even eat these ones! We sent them with dinner to a friend who just had a baby.
I used my mom's recipe, which is pretty much the worst possible way you can have potatoes, I'm pretty sure. You boil peeled and cut up potatoes (I had about 10 or so in a 3qt sauce pan), then mix in a whole package of sour cream, a whole package of cream cheese, and some garlic powder. Then you put it an oven safe casserole dish, cover it with pats of butter and sprinkle with paprika, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so until everything is nice and bubbly. That's it.
They're super easy, and way tasty - but not exactly a dieter's friend!
So, that's my list so far - 6 items. I've got a lot of other things written down that I'd like to try out, but I'm not going to post them here - because I'd like a lot of them to be a surprise for my hubby!