Way back in Dec 2007 I committed to doing 52 things in 2008 that I'd never done before.
Well, the last time I've posted anything about that was in May of 2008. I doubled my list of recorded firsts!! Of course, that jumped the total up from 5 to a whopping 10! Thrilling, I know!
And though I know the year is over, and there's nothing I can do to make my failure any more un-faily, I still thought I should share with you the other firsts I did accomplish. Cause, believe it or not, there were more than 10, and I want credit for them!!
11. My first time playing Wii. I think the first time I played it was over at my friend Melissa's house. They had Mario Cart, and that was pretty fun. Sadly though, I was forced to play it like 3 or 4 times in the next week, at one person's house or another. Am I the only one who doesn't like video games of any sort, even if they are the newest and hottest? I thought so.
12. Getting a pedicure. My dear mother had surgery this year and was very concerned. Very concerned, that is, about someone seeing her in such a vulnerable state WITHOUT HER TOE NAILS PAINTED. I, of course, understood the horror this would cause not only to her but also to all of our future generations. So being the good daughter I am, I could not let the surgery come even a second closer until we got our toe nails done. How is that for being emotionally supportive?
13. Spending $100 on a pair of shoes. It hurt to even type that. Yes, the coupon wierdo, the accountant, the frugal freak went out and willingly paid $100 for a pair of dress shoes. But, not just any dress shoes. Doc Martins. Because, let's face it, Doctors have to pay their student loans some how...or something.
14. Making meat loaf. And, it was a yummy meat loaf indeed. Most of my readers have probably had it already as a part of Shawna's freezer meal get togethers. But, if you haven't, I'd suggest you try it TONIGHT!
Mini Cheddar Meatloaves
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt, pepper and garlic pwd
1 pound lean ground beef
2/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar
1. In a bowl, beat the egg and milk, stir in cheese, oats, onion and spices. Add beef and mix well. Shape into eight loaves; place in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
2. Combine ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice; spoon over loaves.
3. Bake, uncovered, at 350*F (175*C) for 45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160*F (70*C).
Makes 8 servings.
15. My first time making pancakes. This one is pathetic and sad, but also true.
16. Getting a REAL job. Not one that pays minimum wage. Not one that I work at only part time. But, a full blown real job, complete with insurance and 401(k). I know, weird, huh?
17. Quitting a REAL job...without a 2 week notice, and within 2.5 months.
18. Mailing stamps. It's a weird feeling to put a stamp on postage so that you can send it to someone. Take my word for it.
19. Getting my finger prints taken. If your mind is now running wild with the reasons I might have had to do this particular first - you can prepare to be disappointed. One of my firsts is NOT having been in jail....though, this list would be a lot more interesting if that were the case. This was actually just part of a routine background check for my employer.
20. Cooking beans (as opposed to buying them canned). I lead a very interesting and daring life.
21. Being told that my wedding ring is flawed. And, not just that - but also that in mere days the main stone will crack in half and fall out of my setting. That was fun! :) As it turns out, the company that sold me my ring is no longer in business. But, it also turns out that my ring is still perfectly in tact - go figure.
22. Our first home improvement project. - Our tile floor.
This list didn't turn out nearly as bad as I'd thought when I first started writing this post! Hehe...I'm practically half way to the 52 I'd originally wanted.
Anyone know of any firsts I did last year that aren't listed already?