Sunday, February 03, 2008

Week 3

My third first was accomplished on the drive home from New Mexico a couple weeks ago.

It was a little after 1pm on Monday and I was driving down a two-lane highway about 70mph. I come up on a car that is going about 50mph, so I slow down and wait for an opportunity to pass.

When the opporunity comes, I cross into the other lane of traffic, get back up to 70, and look behind me to make sure that I've cleared the other car sufficiently.

AND GUESS WHAT?!

Just at that moment he speeds WAY up and zooms past me. So...what's left to do but put on my brake and get behind him again?

So, I'm following behind him, back in the correct lane, AND HE SLOWS DOWN AGAIN. Not quite 50 this time...probably about 60. But, still a lot slower than I want to be going.

And now, he's gesturing to me...I think trying to dare me to try and pass him again. But, I set my cruise for about 58, give him some distance, and just wait.

He finally gets tired of gesturing to me, and pretty much ignores me from then on out.

But, not too long afterwards, he starts talking to the person beside him or something, and keeps swerving...first over the fog line, and then over the double yellow, then back again.

This goes on for 15 or 20 minutes, and it's making me kind of nervous about his state of mind. My hubby is sitting next to me, and he's getting a bit nervous too. So, we call information and get the police department's number the town coming up in about 10 miles. We give them the guy's tag number and try to describe the car.

They thank us, and then it's more waiting.

But, about another 3 miles down the road, we come over a hill and a county police car and a state trooper are waiting! The county cop pulls out right behind us and waits to pass me. (Which, didn't take very long at all considering we were only going 58mph!) Then the cop gets right between me and the guy and just follows him in to town.

Of course, during all of this, the guy is being a perfect angel! So, that of course, made me feel bad, because he obviously had the presense of mind not to swerve while being followed.

But, eventually, he does cross the fog line again, and the cop pulls him over, as we go by...my first ever experience with calling the cops on someone!

I feel kind of bad still...but at the same time, he was driving pretty recklessly...and why risk it?


So there you have it - 3 down, 49 to go!

1 comment:

tsbjf said...

That's a good first, that driver sounded like a jerk.