Monday, February 04, 2008

Albuquerque in '08

I realized today that I've told you bits and pieces about our trip to New Mexico...but not really enough!

Micah and I left for Albuquerque when he got off work on Thursday January 17th. That was actually my first day of school, but we both had a four day weekend!

It was just shy of a 12 hour drive. I'm driving along, at about 1:30am...we're about to cross into Texas, and Micah is sound asleep. When I see the flashing red lights.

I freak out cause, I'm not speeding, I know I didn't cross any lines, I haven't changed lanes. I can't possibly think of what's the problem. So the officer comes out and tells me that he pulled me over because one of the lights illuminating my tag is out. Then he asks me for the usual drivers liscense and insurance, and then says like it's normal procedure, "could you please come have a seat with me back in my truck?" as he walks away.


I turn to Micah for some help on the matter, but he's so groggy from just waking up that he just grunts! So, not wanting to seem hesitant or suspecious, I get out of my car and cross over to the cop's passenger side and get in.

It was the ODDEST thing. I was soooo scared he was just going to drive away with me, or something! But, instead, we just sit there and he radios in his questions, and he asks me a few things and then it's done. He lets me go back to my car.

Has anyone had that happen to them?! It's 1:30am on a lonely highway, completely dark. That seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen! My hubby still can't decide if he's going to write him them one of his lovely letters. We'll see.

So anyway, we went on to Albuquerque with out any more problems. I think we got in about 5am their time. Our good buddy Ian got us set up with cinnamon rolls for breakfast and a nice warm bed. He then went off to work and we slept the morning away.

[I am now realizing that this account is going to be some what boring for most of you. Because, I'm basically going to tell you step-by-step everything I can remember. The point is so that I will remember later down the road, and not really at all for entertainment vaule. So, sorry.]

We woke up and had more cinnamon rolls, and then called Ian to see how much longer he would be. (He gets off at noon on Fridays.) He said we had about 45 minutes or so, so my hubby and I took a walk down to a coffee shop and back.

When Ian returned we went exploring the town with him. I can't quite remember all we did, but I know we went to "The Produce Exchange" which is basically an in-door farmer's market with really cheap, really fresh, really yummy things. OH for one of those where we live!

We also went to some sort of asian restaurant for lunch and stood in the door way looking at menus for about five minutes before I CHICKENED OUT and we went to a pizza/pasta/calzone place instead. Those boys are good to me; I know they wanted to eat at the other place way more.

We even checked out some really fun stores: a paper store, a "lifestyle store", and from what I could tell, a jewelry store that only contained creations from local artists. Those were way fun!

Next we went to Flying Star Cafe where we spent a good chunk of our time that weekend. We spent the afternoon and part of the evening there just chatting and working on our various projects. I got a chocolate milk shake that was huge AND....AND! made with Haagen Dazs Ice cream. It was tasty! And, I'm almost sure vacations are a reason to break "The Plan" no dirty looks!

We ditched the Flying Star and went back to Ian's place where he made us a delightful salad and seasoned pita bread for dinner. For dressing we just used lemon juice...and it was really good!! Who would have thought I wouldn't need ranch?!

The next day we did way more things than I can even remember! We went to brunch at a nice little cafe, where I had the previously mentioned lox. We went exploring different things, we went and played Settlers at the Flying Star, and then it was time for Ian to volunteer at one of the art galaries while Micah and I had a date night!

Our date started out VERY exciting - who knows when it will ever be topped. Brace yourself. Are you ready for this? We found an auto parts store and bought a light for my tag! (Which by the way is still sitting in the car; not being used.)

:) We really did have a good time. After the auto place, we found Old Town and drove around looking at the tourist places. Then we went back to the other side of town and found a place called...something. Bubble Bee's or something? It was kind of like a Qdoba or something. A mexican order at the counter, then they bring it to you. So, definitely not a taco bell. And, not really a chipotle. Maybe like a Tortilla Jacks? I don't know. It was good. That's my point.

After dinner we went to pick Ian up from the art gallery.

[If you've been tuning out, this is where it gets interesting again!!]

We go to pick Ian up, and we come to this intersection that has the street we're on (in front of us) blocked off. There is a detour sign there instead that says to turn left. But, on our left there was a road closed sign. We could see beyond the road closed sign until the next light, and could see that there was no reason for the road to be closed. We're practically sitting at this light FOREVER (there's no one coming) trying to decide what to do. And, as soon as we decide to go ahead and turn left into the road-closed sign, I get pulled over AGAIN.

This time we're ready though. We both go into how confusing that was, and how it wasn't a reckless decision, but that the intersection is freakin confusing. I'm practically panicked! But, he listens to us, confirms that we're out of state, and then lets us go without ever even going back to his car to run my drivers license. Isn't the Lord good?! :) I think so.

So after we get pulled over, we FINALLY get Ian picked up and go back to his place we hang out the rest of the evening.

On Sunday we go to his chapel for their Sunday school and Church. (We missed breaking of bread.) They were all very nice people. After church we went to another little cafe and had a VERY yummy breakfast. Outside that cafe, the road was blocked off because they were shooting a scene for a movie. That was kind of fun! :)

Then we go back to Ian's place so that Micah can take a nap. I get some studying done, and Ian goes off to the coffee shop to work. When Micah wakes up we go and play another game of settler's with Ian and one of Ian's friends at the coffee shop. It was a nice relaxful afternoon.

Ian also fixed us veggie burgers that night. :) He's a good host.

[Can you tell I'm getting tired; this is a LONG post!]

We get up and leave bright and early Monday morning, and the only other exciting thing on the way home (Besides calling the cops on someone) was that we ran into ice on the way into Wichita and had to stop for the night at some friends' house. They're very hospitable people! We got up at 4am the next morning and headed back for work.

The end. Don't expect a post for me in a while! That took the life out of me!! :)


Jessie said...

wow,I'm glad you are alive, and had a good time :)

Laurel said...

I know you didn't write that for the entertainment value, but I love hearing stories like that about people vacations. Thanks!