Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pantry Challenge

So, 3 weeks ago I was challenged by a friend to do a pantry challenge (which basically means try to reduce the amount of food I have in my pantry to a more manageable amount). In these last three weeks, she has been doing her own freezer challenge, and making great progress. I on the other hand, made a list, and have done nothing further!!

But, in my defense, I've had good reasons:

1. I wanted to get rid of leftovers before cooking any new things

2. We have had dinner with my family several times in the last several weeks. (Which contributed in two different ways! One, we didn't make anything new, and two, we brought home new leftovers to clear out first!)

3. I cook for youth group every other Sunday, and am SOOO not a judge of how much to cook! Micah makes so much fun of me because I'm constantly thinking in my head that I'm cooking for about 20 people (around 15 kids and 4 adults). He has to remind me over and over again that I'm not really cooking for 20 people...I'm cooking for a dozen junior high girls, and 7 people! Hehe..so needless to say, this has caused MORE leftovers.

But, I think we are seeing the end of the leftovers!! Praise the Lord...Micah is so not picky, and will eat anything I serve, but I know he's getting tired of the same things over and over again. So, starting on Monday, I will be going full force on my pantry challenge.

Perhaps, though, I should explain what "full force" means for us!
First, the reason for this pantry challenge is because my pantry is chock full of processes/boxed dinners, and I'm wanting to get away from that, and get into freezer meals (cooking for a month at at time) instead. Also, there are only two of us, and a lot of these boxed dinners are intended to feed four, which means by cooking one night, we're creating 2-3 left over portions. Which is fine, we can eat them for lunches...but sometimes other things come up and we have to eat the leftovers before they go bad, which means we don't always cook another meal!
Second, I am gone Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, and so Micah fends for himself. We also eat out for lunch on Sundays, and have dinner with the youth group on Sunday.
So, that leaves Monday and Thursdays definitely, and possibly Saturday and Sunday, though plans for those days can change!!

So, as you can see, it'll be slow going!! But, I'm going to try to make an effort to clear out 2-3 meals a week! We shall see!

Here's my list so that you can keep track of my progress too!:
Chipotle Burritos
Campbell's Supper Bake - Savory Pork Chops, Green Beans
Frito Chili Pie
Chicken Nuggets, Au Gratin Potatoes, RL Buiscuts
Sausage and Potatoes
Pancakes/Waffles, Sausage
Chicken Nuggets, Stuffing
Chicken Helper, Green Beans
Ramen
Chicken Nuggets, Au Gratin Potatoes, RL Buiscuts
Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup
Pancakes/Waffles
Chicken Nuggets, Stuffing
Stir Fry, Rice Noodles
Ramen
Lasagna, Veggies
Pancakes/Waffles
Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup
Chicken Soup - pasta and broth
Chicken Nuggets, Mashed Potatoes
Chicken Nuggets, Stuffing
Sloppy Joes, Cauliflower and Cheese
Pancakes/Waffles
Chicken Nuggets, Stuffing
Tuna Helper
Alfredo
Chicken Helper
Chicken Nuggets; pasta side
Hamburgar Helper
Pancakes/Waffles
Chicken Nuggets, pasta side
Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup
spaghetti
alfredo
Tuna Helper
Hamburgar Helper
Sausage and Potatoes
Crock Pot Classic
Lasagna - freezer one bread, salad

1 comment:

tsbjf said...

The good news is, if for some strange reason you guys got stuck in your house for awhile you wouldn't starve!